When it comes to figuring out what herbs, vitamins and supplements will bump up your body’s ability to fight cancer cells and take your cancer treatment plan to the next level, let’s just say: Talk about information overload.
Without the guidance of a trained naturopathic doctor, it’s difficult to know which ones are safe and which ones will have any measurable impact on your current situation. However, when taken the right way, nutrients, vitamins and herbs can have a powerful and supportive role in treating your cancer.
Natural supplements (nutrients, vitamins and herbs) can boost your cancer treatment plan in five ways:
- Fight cancer cells – While few natural substances are effective at directly killing cancer cells, IV vitamin C is packed with anti-cancer properties. Mistletoe extract can also help fight cancer cells while protecting healthy cells from the effects of chemotherapy and radiation.
- Promote healthy cell function – Healthy cells can prevent cancer formation, and also allow your immune system to identify and kill cancerous cells. By keeping your cells healthy, you’re also supporting your body’s natural ability to absorb nutrients and limit the side effects of conventional cancer treatments. Fish oil and vitamin D are examples of nutrients that support healthy cell function.
- Detoxification – Despite the body’s natural ability to flush the toxins it produces and is exposed to on a daily basis, sometimes it’s not enough. Often the root cause of chronic disease is the body being unable to detoxify, so the build-up creates the perfect environment for disease to thrive. Milk thistle and broccoli extracts are examples of natural substances that promote healthy detoxification and elimination.
- Block cancer growth and spread – Natural substances can block new blood vessels from growing to feed tumours and prevent the spread of cancer cells to new areas of the body. This is vital when it comes to stalling the spread of disease while allowing chemotherapy, radiation or the immune system to kill cancer cells. Green tea and modified citrus pectin are two good examples of natural blockers.
- Restore the immune system – Your immune system’s job is to identify and eliminate foreign cells, including cancer cells. But when your immune system is too weak to defend the body, sneaky cancer foot soldiers know how to hide from immune cells to prevent being targeted and destroyed. Natural supplements allow the body to restore the immune system so that it can start targeting cancer cells. Mushroom extracts are powerful immune activators and also have an anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer effect.
While there are many supplements you can take as part of your cancer care plan, not all of them are high quality or contain the correct dosage to impact cancer cells favourably in your body. This is the part where we come in.
At pureBalance Wellness · Cancer Care our signature Integrative Cancer Care Program is designed to help you find the best supplements for your unique recovery plan while avoiding negative interactions with any other medications you’re taking.
Despite being natural substances, nutrients and herbs can still be pretty potent and shouldn’t be combined with other medications and therapies without the guidance of a doctor.
I want to know what anti-cancer supplements I’m a candidate for. Book my free 15 minute consultation.
If you still have questions about how you can safely integrate supplements into your cancer care plan, talk to your naturopathic doctor at pureBalance Wellness · Cancer Care.